Date of Award
MA Project - Restricted Access (SIA Only)
MA Project - Business Plan
Master of Arts (MA)
The Chinese art market is growing faster than ever. In the 12 months to end-June 2018, according to TEFAF, the share of the global Contemporary Art Market generated by Greater China (including Hong Kong and Taiwan) stabilized at 26% with a total turnover of MUSD 480 (1). On the other hand, China still suffers from the lack of universal education in art. Researches (2,3,4,5) show some major problems in terms of art education in China such as, misconception of value of art education, negative influence by the examination-oriented education system, irrelevance of art education to family and community, students’ lack of interest in art and shortage of art teachers. Actually, art education seems to exist in name only. It can be seen that art has a rather small proportion of scores compared to other disciplines.
The original intention of Wonder-Art is not to attempt to solve the inherent problems of the long-standing art education in China. Solving the deep-rooted issues of Chinese education is not realistic for small companies like us. Our mission is to help the growing middle class, and high net worth individuals widely popularize art knowledge and improve their capability of art appreciation and their sense of art investment. Through our efforts, Chinese art investors will gradually transform from the initial follow-up investment to art value investment and become true art collectors.
(1) Art Price Contemporary Art Market Report 2018, General synopsis. Contemporary Art’s market performance, chap.3: Contemporary Art’s new place in the Art Market
(2) Hong Wang (2015), Journal of Arts & Humanities -Understanding How College Students Describe Art: An Analysis of Art Education in China, Wang, JAH 2015, Vol. 04, No. 05: 08-15, chap.1, para. 1,2,3, p.9,10 ,1.0 Introduction.
(3) NUFFIC, The education system in China-described and compared with the Dutch system, Education system China | Nuffic | 2nd edition, December 2010 | version 6, December 2018, chap.4, p. 8: Primary and secondary education.
(4) Youxi Yue (2009), School of Chinese Literature and Journalism Shandong University of Technology Zibo 255049, On the Problems Existed in Chinese Art Education and the Way Out, Vol.2, No.3 Aug. 2009, chap.1 p.103, chap.2 p.105
(5) Guo Lei (2014), Art Education and Teaching from the Perspective of Chinese Mass Higher Education, CSCanada Higher Education of Social Science Vol. 7, No. 2, 2014, pp. 125-128
Liu, Adele Xiao, "Wonder-Art & Co" (2019). MA Projects. 84.